Tuesday, October 13, 2009

February 17, 2007 - I'll Hold You To Your Word

I'll hold you to your word

When this life falls to pieces

And I look around and see that

Nothing is what it used to be

And I'll hold you to your word

When friends turn to enemies

And things I thought were good

Turn out not to be

I'll hold you to your word

When disappointment overwhelms me

And change seeps through the cracks in my fingers

Even though I shield my eyes

Press my head into my hands

Like a child trying to conceal a tear-stained face

Like someone shielding their eyes from a light that's much too bright

But somehow,

Somehow it always seems to find its way through my fingers

Pushed so tightly together.

And though I resist, the light finds its way to my retina

Sooner or later I have to acknowledge that its daylight

And I'll open my eyes

Blinded by the sudden light, I see nothing

But somehow its better than when my hands were over my eyes

Because when I look up again

I see you

And I know I can hold you to your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment