Thursday, October 15, 2009

Facebook Edition: January 19, 2009 - The Ship

The ship could float, they knew full well, in fact
They knew it could do much more than that
It was fine, sea-worthy, steady--
Yet everyone jumped ship like it was sinking
I stood and watched at they pitched themselves
One by one back out to sea
The waters rages and spit salt in their faces
But it looked as though
They didn't care.
Like anything was better than being where they were
And I'm not even sure they knew in the first place
Under what flag they sailed.
They left without reason, without knowing they had,
As if called by a siren's song out into the deep.
And it made me sad to see them go
Watching confused and frustrated, standing
I was on the same deck as they
Stood on level ground,
Yet they thought I was less and deigned not to heed my watchful eye.
What power they had, jumping off that bow, over those railings, and off that rigging
What powerful impressions they left
To watch as another one jumped and sank, all the while not knowing they were
And every minute I told myself
I would never do as they
Yet with each word, edging closer to the sea.
And every passing minute
I begin to see
A little more of what it meant
to truly be
Just like one of them
Those people who I "knew"
who suddenly believed that life existed, not on this ship
But under those crushing waves.

I want what you want!
I am tempted in the same ways!
So much more love, so much more to lose and gain, by staying on this ship and reaching land someday!

1 comment: